Sunday, July 6, 2014

Giving myself rules

I am a big rule parent.

Some people who have different styles might mock my affinity for rules, but I find them to help both the children and me a LOT.  Rather than coming up with reason and justification each time I ask the children to listen, I instead announce, "It is a rule."  This seems to hold a lot more weight than "Mommy said so."  In my children's mind, rules come with a lot more authority than my instruction.

When we sit down to eat at the table, we have table rules.  I usually call them "Table Manners," but the authority is still there.  When we go on walks, it is a rule that everyone holds hands when we cross the street.  Whether the rules enforce safety or respect, they teach my kids the ways of the world.  I also believe that kids thrive with rules.  They like to know what is expected of them and on some level it brings a sense of happiness. <My 4yo really does love the rules on some level, even though she has taken to telling me at every turn, "When I am a Mommy, I am going to let my kids eat candy all day and do whatever they want," etc....>

Sometimes, I wish I had a mommy on top of me all day telling me rules:  What I should and should not do.  If I am getting cranky because I didn't drink enough water throughout the day, I would love for a mommy to hover over me until I drink all of the water in the cup she prepared.  Every time my phone rings, I go through a big debate in my mind - Do I answer it or not?  Why can't someone else make rules for me as to when it is appropriate and proper to answer my phone throughout the day when I am home with the kids? 

When someone is in the middle of a meltdown and a million things are happening at once, I usually ignore the ringing phone. 

When everyone is playing nicely and I actually have quiet moments to cook or organize, answering a phone call seems manageable.  Somehow, the minute I say "Hello," it is a cue to my children to ask me questions, complain about something, or take my attention away from the phone call in some other way.    Besides that fact that I feel bad for the person on the other end of the phone who probably wanted a few undistracted moments with me, answering the phone seemed to ruin that perfect moment - of happily playing children and a few minutes to get something done.  I probably would have been better off answering the phone when everything was already in shambles.  What's one more, when you are already dealing with 20 stressors?

I could possibly try to strictly enforce a rule about silence in the house while I'm on the phone.  I have decided against this for several reasons.  Most importantly, I need to pick my battles, and this is not a battle that I deem worthy of a fight.  So instead, I have decided to give myself a rule.  I have been trying to enforce it for myself over the past week to no avail, but hopefully through writing the blog I will realize how important this is and listen to the authority within myself.

The rule:  I will not have a long conversation (more than 2 minutes) on the phone between 8AM and 7PM unless I am temporarily availed of my parenting duties.

The hardest part about this rule is our location on the west coast.  If I want to speak with anyone, I will either need to wake up early and find a quiet place to speak, or use precious babysitter or alone time, that I strategically plan throughout my week, to speak on the phone rather than recharge my internal batteries.

Inevitably, each time I break my rule and answer that phone, at least one child and I take a good half hour to recover from the disturbance in equilibrium in the home.  Inevitably by that point, the phone rings again.  I think that for a few days I am going to keep my phone on silent and just check it every hour or two for important messages.  I will see how it goes and see if this cellular silence truly does bring a more content and connected atmosphere to our days.

4 comments:

  1. I hear that... I do tell my kids that when Mommy is on the phone, she can't hear you at the same time, so come back when she's off. I feel that the kids should know there is a time that Mommy needs to be on the phone (to talk to her own Mommy for example), and it's respectful for them to understand that. Then again, I don't really talk to anyone for long lengths of time on the phone -- do people still do that?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard for me if I get called and I don't prepare them - "Mommy is going to be on the phone and I won't be available." The first 5 minutes of the phone call are usually fine, but there are some people who like to chat much longer, and that doesn't go over so well with the kids. Especially when it's Friday and I'm trying to cook and clean at the same time and I already haven't been giving them so much attention... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it'll change a bit when your kids are older, but for now it sounds like an awesome idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, I think you're right. 3yo has much more difficulty with it than 4.5 yo...

    ReplyDelete