Thursday, July 17, 2014

Is Retail Therapy all that bad??

I've heard mixed reviews on the therapeutic benefit of shopping.

For some, the process of shopping in and of itself provides calming effects.  One can walk through a store for an hour, leave empty handed, and feel better after having had the experience.  It serves as a purposeful distraction from life.

Others benefit from the fleeting joy of acquiring something new.  Psychologists, however, argue that this joy actually leaves a larger abyss in its absence than the prior emptiness.  One needs to continually acquire more and more in order to attain the same level of "happiness."

Over the past few weeks, I have been doing a lot of "retail therapy."  On one hand, I have justified that I want to feel prepared and secure for what life might bring.  I got a new water bottle to make sure I stay well hydrated during this extra stressful time.  I bought a new backpack to replace the one I've used since high school because I am working at a camp for a month and then flying on my own with the kids, so I need something sturdy with substantial organization potential.  I made these purchases not only for the joy of the acquisition, but for the joy I hope to feel each time they're used.  When someone goes clothes shopping, isn't it a similar motivation?  Each time they wear the clothes, won't they feel a little happy?  Or does this wear off once it's not new anymore, leaving in its absence a desire to acquire yet again to have something else new?

One thing is for sure - if you are going to do retail therapy, you might as well do it online!  This is the way to go for two reasons -
1) It takes a lot less time.
2) You get the buyer's high twice - once when you pick it out and click "Purchase," and again when a box arrives at the door and you get to open it and enjoy the purchase!

My Captain talked me out of some of the completely unnecessary purchases, but for now I enjoy my new water filtration system as I get to sip pure and clean water to rehydrate at the end of a long day. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment