Friday, June 13, 2014

My most recent naturopathic find

My husband has started telling me that if we ever move back to a place like Oklahoma, or anywhere else in the south for that matter, I will be seen as a very "returning to the roots, naturalist" northerner.  I think that my recent tendencies come from an array of factors.  First, I believe there is something about the Seattle air.  It just makes one want to compost, use natural ingredients, and become more healthy.  I would also like to believe that as my children become real kids, I get in better touch with myself through maturity, and I further develop my philosophic approach to life, some elements of this lifestyle are a natural progression in maturity.

During my last pregnancy, a little over a year ago, a good friend and amazing person from our military family, was pregnant as well.  She told me about relief she found from using a magnesium supplement.  It helped her sleep better and also served as a good cure for "restless leg syndrome."  Since there was no harm in trying, I gave it a go.  The key to her suggestion, however, was the source of magnesium.  Rather than an oral supplement, she recommended the mineral spray.  By spraying it on the legs directly before bedtime, it gets absorbed into the bloodstream and really contributes to a good night's sleep.

I enjoyed this routine throughout the last few months of my pregnancy and whether I experienced a placebo effect or not, I felt like it worked well.  When I gave birth, I figured I would no longer need this supplement, so I stopped the sprays.

Fast Forward One Year:
  Within the first year postpartum, I always experience some degree of postpartum blues.  In the past, I have always treated this with a minimal regimen of Zoloft.  I tried that this time for a few months, but even on half of the lowest dose, I did not like being on the medication.  It numbed me to sadness, but it also numbed me to being extremely happy, expressing my silly side, and most detrimental, it numbed my creative outlet.
I swiftly weaned off of this medication and did a little research for a natural mood aid.  The most popular (St John's Wort) is not allowed while breastfeeding, so I looked further.  After some fun evenings on Google, I noticed some trends. 
1)  Magnesium deficiency is a big issue in modern society
2)  Magnesium has been used as a "chill pill" for centuries (although I doubt it was called a chill pill).

What could it hurt?  I sprayed my legs before bed.

Within a few days, I felt better than I have since before my pregnancy... and possibly even in many years.  Not only do I notice an increase in my energy levels, but it has helped tremendously in my ability to "let things go" when I previously might have dwelled and gotten upset.  This has been such a blessing to discover, especially during this time in my life when I am trying to mentally and emotionally focus on living b'simcha - with a constant perspective of happiness.

I felt compelled to write about this in order to pass this gem of information along to anyone else who might be able to benefit.

Some information about Magnesium benefits:

 (For the psychologically minded): http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.com/2010/10/magnesium-and-brain.html

(For layfolk): http://www.magnesiumoil.com/magnesium-health/anxiety-stress


The oil I use:
http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Minerals-Ultra-Pure-Magnesium/dp/B001AD0HL8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402671199&sr=8-2&keywords=magnesium+spray


1 comment:

  1. I still love my magnesium even now!!! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete